Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

I am, of course, thankful for the roof over my head and the food on my plate.  But there's so much more that I'm thankful that a quick little list just can't adequately describe.  So at the risk of sounding a little sappy, here's what I'm thankful for right now:

My totally awesome family.  I have a wonderful husband who continues to support this crazy career of mine while we homeschool The Peanut.  This has not always been easy, but we continue to make it work.  I also have a really cool, smart little kid who continues to amaze me on a daily basis.

My really cool friends.  I have several friends that even if I don't see for awhile, we can pick up where ever we last left off and just keep going.  I am also blessed with a couple friends who are also mentors.  The one thing I can guarantee with just about any of my friends that if we're together, we're going to laugh and have fun.

My cat.  Seriously.  My cat Pandora is my BFFF (Best Furry Friend Forever).  She spends a good bit of her time either in my lap or snuggling next to me.  At night, she sleeps next to my pillow.  She follows me around like I would imagine a dog would and has a personality like no other cat I've ever owned.

My church.  I am not terribly religious, but I was raised Presbyterian and I do believe in a God.  Church started as a gig for me a little over 10 years ago.  I thought it was cool to be paid to do something that I would do for free and I didn't really care what I was singing so long as I was singing something.  My boss turned out to be amazing and took me under his wing -- see above about my cool friends.  Overtime, the choir became a second family for me.  I ended up joining the church and while the music program is still my primary focus, I have become involved in a number of facets.

Music. It's my life.  I am one of those people who almost always has a song stuck in their head.  (Right now, it's "Rejoice Greatly" from Handel's Messiah since I am preparing it for an upcoming gig.  Give me 5 minutes and I'll probably be mentally running another movement even though I don't mean to do it...)  Anyways, I can't imagine what the heck I'd be if I didn't have music.  Even if I didn't teach, I'd still find somewhere to sing and make music.  For me, teaching is icing on the cake - it gives me the chance to share my passion.  I think this is doubly cool with kids -- to watch them make connections and creat their own music makes me indescribably happy.

Games.  Board games, card games, Wii, Dungeons & Dragons... you name it.  I love games.  What I'm most thankful for, though, is how they bring people together.  Whether it's the hubby, Peanut and me trying to escape Forbidden Island, a whole bunch of my word-smithing friends duking it out over Bananagrams, or The Bickering Eight fighting the latest battle (either with a dragon or amongst themselves), it's a chance to connect, play, and be silly for awhile.

I really do feel blessed for everything that's going on in my life right now.  And for that, I'm very thankful.



No comments:

Post a Comment